Halloween is around the corner and you know what that means –it’s time for candy! Since October is the month for decadent treats, let’s explore the beneficial effects of chocolate on vision.
A recent report by JAMA Ophthamology suggests that dark chocolate, in particular, may be beneficial for sight. Study participants showed about a 40% improvement in small letter contrast sensitivity two hours eating dark chocolate (70% cocoa). Cocoa contains three antioxidants – Tannins, polyphenols and flavonoids. The research report provides evidence that each of these are beneficial to overall health.
So can you eat dark chocolate to improve your vision? Our advice is to enjoy dark chocolate this Halloween in moderation and avoid eating too much of those other sweet treats.
1. Chocolate is a Good Source of Antioxidants: Many scientific studies have shown that the bioactive compounds in dark chocolate and cocoa can help decrease blood pressure and improve blood flow.
2. Dark chocolate is a Good Source of Nutrients: Good quality dark chocolate has plenty of fiber and minerals like iron, magnesium, copper, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, zinc and selenium as well as a good amount of soluble fiber.
3. Dark Chocolate can Improve Cardiac health: Dark Chocolate can raise HDL (“good” cholesterol) and protects LDL or “bad” cholesterol from oxidation thus preventing it from damaging other tissues in the body. A controlled study found that consumption of dark chocolate two or three times in a week reduced the risk of having calcified plaque in the arteries by 32 percent.
4. Dark chocolate can Reduce the Risk of Diabetes: Dark chocolate can also reduce insulin resistance by reducing oxidative stress. Scientists think this is the main cause of insulin resistance.
5. Dark Chocolate Might Improve Cognitive Function in Older People: Eating high-flavanol cocoa improved blood flow to the brain even in healthy volunteers who participated in a controlled study.
6. Consuming Dark Chocolate Might Protect Skin Against Sun Damage: Dark chocolate has flavanols which can protect our skin against sun damage and enhance skin hydration and density.
7. Dark Chocolate Might Help with Weight Loss