Check out these eye care tips courtesy of The American Optometric Association
You can wear contacts and cosmetics safely and comfortably together by following these helpful tips:
- Put on soft contact lenses before applying makeup.
- Put on rigid gas-permeable (RGP) lenses after applying makeup.
- Avoid lash-extending mascara, which has fibers that can irritate the eyes. Also avoid waterproof mascara, which cannot be easily removed with water and may stain soft contact lenses. Replace mascara at least every three months.
- Avoid applying eyeliner along the watermark of the eyelid.
- Remove lenses before removing makeup.
- Choose an oil-free moisturizer.
- Don’t use hand creams or lotions before handling contacts. They can leave a film on your lenses.
- Use hairspray before putting on your contacts. If you use hairspray while you are wearing your contacts, close your eyes during spraying and for a few seconds after.
- Blink your eyes frequently while using a hair drier to keep your eyes from getting too dry.
- Keep false eyelash cement, nail polish and remover, perfume and cologne away from lenses. They can damage the plastic.
- Choose water-based, hypoallergenic liquid foundations. Cream makeup may leave a film on your lenses.